There’s a Quiet Evolution Going on at Johnson Controls to Limit Interior Noise
Now we can accurately predict and improve noise control long before designs are frozen or tooling is started.Two world-class facilities -- the WAVE Lab, located in North America, and the Acoustic & Comfort Center, located in Europe -- are industry-leading development centers for vehicle acoustics. At these sites, we uniquely combine our team's 100 plus years of acoustic expertise and integrated interior product experience with state-of-the-art technical capabilities to exceed vehicle program requirements and expectations.
We also improve the acoustic performance of interior commodities and optimize their interfaces to the NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) package. The results? Consumers can experience better acoustic performance while auto makers benefit from weight and cost reduction (e.g. For a vehicle in the lower-to-medium price range, we increased the articulation index* by 8% and reduced the weight by 15.4 lb).
Johnson Controls also sets trends in developing new materials with acoustic performance characteristics. They include the use of new textiles, seat foams, headliner substrates, as well as carriers for doors and instrument panels.
Examples of Our Acoustics Solutions:
- Interior trim components made from appropriate performance materials
- Subsystems that work with the rest of the vehicle to treat critical noise paths
- Integration of the entire interior to ensure that vehicle acoustic targets are met
- Audio and electronic systems
- Sound-quality assurance of components and systems that generate intentional noise
* While the classical measure of noise (expressed in dB) only evaluates the total sound pressure level, the articulation index permits a more detailed analysis. It can quantify the effects of noise on humans by correlating an objective parameter (noise) with a subjective one (noise disturbance).
As demonstrated throughout our new demonstrator ie:3, Inspired Efficiency moves beyond current knowledge and expectations to explore intriguing new possibilities.
We operate several development centers around the world with dedicated space to develop state-of-the-art product technologies.
Johnson Controls stands for innovation, integration and sustainability. Over the years we have received many awards for our dedication.