Johnson Controls wins top global award for manufacturing excellence
Johnson Controls Manufacturing System recognized for operational excellence at premier global event
Johnson Controls’ Manufacturing Excellence strategy and deployment took a top honor at the recent Business Transformation & Operational Excellence World Summit and Awards (BTOES17) in Orlando, Florida.
The Johnson Controls Manufacturing System (JCMS) received the Best Achievement of Operational Excellence in Manufacturing award at the event. Judges also recognized JCMS as a finalist for Best Achievement in Cultural Transformation to deliver a high performing Operational Excellence culture.
BTOES is the new iteration of the Global Lean Six Sigma & Business Improvement Summit and Awards. A cross-industry event, BTOES is dedicated to discussing key challenges, future trends and best practices of operational excellence. The judging panel included executives from a variety of firms recognized for operational excellence including Google, Walmart, Fidelity Investments and Bristol-Myers Squib.
The Johnson Controls Manufacturing Excellence entry covered the strategic objectives and scope of JCMS from its inception through FY16. It included the size of the challenge, implementation time line and results. Among the results cited were:
- Exceeding target improvement in year-over-year conversion costs
- 22 percent reduction in safety recordable incidents
- 12 percent improvement in quality
- 68 percent improvement in employee retention
- A three-fold increase in energy saving projects
- A near doubling of customer satisfaction for customers of plants that achieved Level 3 of manufacturing excellence maturity, as a result of improved product quality and on-time delivery, among other measures
In addition to JCMS participating in the BTOES Awards competition, Ricardo Estok, Manufacturing Excellence Transformation and JCMS Empowered People enterprise principle leader of the Global Manufacturing & Operations Council, was a presenter at the summit. His presentation focused on how to avoid sinking an operational excellence transformation. The awards were presented March 22, 2017, at the Four Seasons Resort in Orlando.