Johnson Controls Offers York® Ductless Heating and Cooling Solutions to North American Market
Compact ductless air conditioners and heat pumps eliminate need for expensive ductwork
MILWAUKEE – (August 7, 2013) – Johnson Controls, the global leader in delivering solutions that increase energy efficiency in buildings, has added ductless mini-split air conditioners and heat pumps to its York® Affinity™ Series and LX Series product lines to provide more heating and cooling options to homeowners and commercial building operators.
These compact, energy-efficient units deliver cooling or heating to structures without installing air handlers and expensive ductwork, providing the perfect solution for homes without ductwork and for room additions or remodels. Many of the ductless units can be used in commercial applications, especially to condition computer-server rooms where temperatures must be maintained, even in winter when other parts of the building are not being cooled.
“Space-saving ductless mini-split systems make it possible to fit more comfort in more places,” said Mimoun Abaraw, senior product manager, Unitary Products Group at Johnson Controls.
The systems combine smaller outdoor units with slim wall-mounted indoor units, linked by a conduit that requires nothing more than a small three-to four-inch opening. Single-zone mini-splits provide individualized comfort in a single room, while multi-zone models connect a single outdoor unit to as many as five indoor units, providing comfort in larger areas. In addition, occupants can set temperature and humidity levels for each unit in each room, saving energy and ensuring comfort.
Most models in the Affinity Series are ENERGY STAR® certified, with Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratios (SEER) ranging from 16 to 27 and a Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF) as high as 10. Both ratings exceed government standards and ensure energy-efficient performance and comfort. Unlike conventional heat pumps, the mini-splits use a cold blow prevention feature that slightly delays the indoor fan at the start of a cycle to make sure the air comes out warm to keep room occupants comfortable.
Other system features include:
- Advanced compressor technology that modulates the York ductless system to a minimum of 15 Hz and as high as 120 Hz using only the electricity needed to deliver the right amount of cooling or heating for optimum comfort and energy savings.
- A wireless remote controller with a built-in temperature sensor that controls and satisfies cooling or heating set point temperatures wherever the remote control is located.
- The ability to work in outdoor temperatures ranging as low as 5° F, without resorting to expensive electric backup heating.
- An advanced multi-part filter system accessory that uses a catechin material and treated fibers to remove contaminants, such as allergens, to improve indoor air quality.
- Designed for common household current (115 V) or standard appliance current (208-230 V) to minimize wiring and installation costs.
- The option to install the water drainage outlet on either the right or left side of the indoor unit.
York® products from Johnson Controls include energy-efficient, residential central air conditioners, heat pumps, furnaces and accessories and innovative light-commercial, packaged heating and cooling systems marketed through a national distribution network and delivered to home- and building-owners through qualified York heating and cooling dealers. For more information about York, visit: www.yorkhvacdealer.com.
About Johnson Controls
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries. Our 168,000 employees create quality products, services and solutions to optimize energy and operational efficiencies of buildings; lead-acid automotive batteries and advanced batteries for hybrid and electric vehicles; and interior systems for automobiles. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. Through our growth strategies and by increasing market share we are committed to delivering value to shareholders and making our customers successful. In 2013, Corporate Responsibility Magazine recognized Johnson Controls as the #14 company in its annual "100 Best Corporate Citizens" list. For additional information, please visit http://www.johnsoncontrols.com.