Johnson Controls reveals its ID15 innovation demonstrator at the 2015 North American International Auto Show
Supplier showcases the future of autonomous vehicle interiors
DETROIT, Jan. 12, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Autonomous vehicles are the future and Johnson Controls, a global multi-industrial company, has developed its Innovation Demonstrator "ID15" concept which offers a premium interior experience for the autonomous vehicle that enables the driver and passengers to use time efficiently in new ways. The ID15 concept will debut at the 2015 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) at Detroit's Cobo Center.
The ID15 concept is designed to address the increasing demand for premium materials and features in vehicles. It also represents an innovative and realistic autonomous driving interior solution for the next generation of vehicles. It introduces technology that allows occupants to engage in activities beyond driving, such as working, playing, relaxing and engaging with other passengers, in a comfortable and safe environment.
"The design and development of this concept is based on the interior changes that are necessary to adapt to the autonomous driving experience," said Han Hendriks, vice president, advanced product development and sales, Johnson Controls Automotive Interiors. "The ID15 focuses on meeting consumers' expectations, as our customers look to us as an industry leader to help define the interior of the future."
The ID15 concept will address automotive market demand for sustainable, cost-effective, premium solutions in the luxury segment. It features more than 30 technologies and innovations that enable consumers of autonomous vehicles to utilize non-driving time. Most of these innovations are ready to go into production now, while some are more exploratory.
- Rotating table – located in a redefined floor console, combined with an 18 degree swiveling seatback, the table allows the driver to engage in activities and more comfortable interaction with second row passengers
- Glove box sliding tray – the new functionality provides enhanced storage for mobile devices in the glove box
- Smart surface technologies – integrated control technologies enabling activation and control of various functions throughout the interior to provide an appealing and higher level of craftsmanship, and serve as an alternative solution to conventional switches
- Illuminated surfaces – to differentiate the experience within the interior of the vehicle, LED lighting across the instrument panel and along the side of the doors helps improve the lighting ambiance throughout, while synchronized functionally to the Auto-drive mode
- Sculpted leather surface – allows shapes to be expressed with leather formed surface, providing a premium feel
- Tambour door – a new solution to storage in the door panel that provides private, secure storage in the front and rear door panel, and an ergonomically accessed storage space in the center console
- Multi-track tambour door – improves functionality by allowing occupants to partition and create separate storage within the floor console
- Two-way sliding cool box – a fully integrated luxury feature below the multi-function console allows access to both front and rear passengers
- Slim overhead console – reduces weight and package size, increasing space for vehicle occupants
- Catch bin – a removable bin allows passengers to easily retrieve small items that fall between the seats and floor console
- Sliding large bag storage – sliding large stowage space for large sized hand bags to be used in conjunction with cool box; and
- Compression Hybrid Molding (CHyM) – lightweight, natural door panel substrate with increased stability through the combination for natural fiber and plastic
Also included in the ID15 concept are enhanced seating capabilities. Giving the driver the ability to more conveniently interact with passengers in the front and rear rows, while in autonomous mode, the "Swingback" feature holds the seat in its standard fixed position, while the upper seatback pivots 18 degrees. In addition, the rear seat features a mode, where with the press of a button, the seat reclines, and brings up the leg rest and foot rest. Simultaneously, the front passenger seat moves forward to create extra leg room. The seats in ID15 were developed for the Chinese market by the Yanfeng Johnson Controls (YFJC) automotive seating joint venture.
An event sponsor and exhibitor, this is the 21st year that Johnson Controls is involved in the NAIAS.
NAIAS – one of the world's premier automotive exhibitions – opens to the media and industry officials on Monday, Jan. 12. It will open to the public from Saturday, Jan. 17 through Sunday, Jan. 25. For more information, please visit: www.naias.com.
About Johnson Controls:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries. Our 170,000 employees create quality products, services and solutions to optimize energy and operational efficiencies of buildings; lead-acid automotive batteries and advanced batteries for hybrid and electric vehicles; and interior systems for automobiles. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. Through our growth strategies and by increasing market share we are committed to delivering value to shareholders and making our customers successful. In 2014, Corporate Responsibility Magazine recognized Johnson Controls as the #12 company in its annual "100 Best Corporate Citizens" list. For additional information, please visit http://www.johnsoncontrols.com or follow @johnsoncontrols on Twitter.
About Johnson Controls Automotive:
Johnson Controls is a global leader in automotive seating, overhead systems, floor consoles, door panels and instrument panels. We support all major automakers in the differentiation of their vehicles through our products, technologies and advanced manufacturing capabilities. With more than 220 plants worldwide, we are where our customers need us to be. Consumers have enjoyed the comfort and style of our products, from single components to complete interiors. With our global capability, we supply approximately 50 million cars per year.
Images are available at www.johnsoncontrols-naias.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/johnson-controls-reveals-its-id15-innovation-demonstrator-at-the-2015-north-american-international-auto-show-300018787.html
SOURCE Johnson Controls